Live-in care can offer several advantages over care homes for older people. Here are some key reasons why live-in care can work better:
- Personalised and one-to-one care: Live-in care provides individualised attention and tailored support to meet the specific needs of each older person. Unlike care homes where staff often have to divide their attention among multiple residents, live-in carers can focus solely on the well-being and comfort of one individual. This personalised care promotes a higher quality of life, as it is based on the older person’s preferences, routines, and personal choices.
- Familiar and comfortable environment: For many older people, the familiarity and comfort of their own home contribute significantly to their overall well-being. By opting for live-in care, older individuals can remain in their familiar surroundings, surrounded by their cherished possessions, memories, and community. This continuity of environment can help reduce feelings of anxiety, confusion, or disorientation that might arise from moving to a care home.
- Continuity and consistency of care: Live-in care ensures continuity and consistency of care, as the same carer is present around the clock. This allows the carer to develop a deep understanding of the older person’s needs, preferences, and routines, enabling them to provide consistent and reliable support. This level of continuity can be particularly beneficial for individuals with complex medical conditions or cognitive impairments who require specialized care.
- Independence and autonomy: Live-in care empowers older people to maintain their independence and autonomy to a greater extent than care homes. With a live-in carer, older individuals can continue to make decisions about their daily routines, meals, activities, and social interactions. They can maintain their own schedule and have more control over their lives, which can contribute to their overall sense of dignity and well-being.
- Enhanced companionship and social interaction: Live-in carers often build strong relationships with the individuals they care for, providing companionship and emotional support. Unlike the potentially transient nature of interactions in care homes, where staff shifts change regularly, live-in carers offer a consistent presence and a trusted source of companionship. This can combat loneliness, isolation, and feelings of abandonment, promoting better mental and emotional health.
- Flexibility and individualized services: Live-in care allows for greater flexibility in terms of the services provided. The care plan can be adapted to the changing needs of the older person, ensuring they receive the appropriate level of support at all times. Whether it’s assistance with personal care, medication management, housekeeping, meal preparation, or accompanying them to appointments, the care can be tailored to suit their individual requirements.
It’s worth noting that while live-in care offers numerous advantages, it may not be suitable for everyone. Factors such as the older person’s health condition, the availability of suitable living arrangements, and financial considerations need to be taken into account when deciding between live-in care and a care home. Ultimately, the choice should prioritise the well-being, safety, and happiness of the older person.
If you or your loved one are interested in finding out more about live-in care and the various health benefits it can offer, get in touch with our care team now.